About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Hello, I'm Aimee a young t-something from the UK. This blog charts my exploration of certain things that are of interest to me, most notably exploring my femininity and my interest in BDSM and all that fun stuff. Please enjoy my blog and let me know any thoughts and comments you have.

Saturday 19 June 2010

New Hair

Hmmm seem to remember making an earlier post with exactly the same title before....am I really going through that much hair I wonder?

Anyway, in my last post I was telling you how I was in Manchester last weekend. Going to Lash and clubs and stuff is awesome, but at the same time I want to be able to walk down the street and hopefully not get too many funny looks. Sure, dressing is nice and fun, but really the whole point of it for me is passing.

One of the biggest tranny-tells (hmm, I like that phrase, a future article perhaps?) is the hair. Girls with their own hair look awesome. Girls without unfortunately normally don't. Sadly, for reasons I won't whine about here (read older posts if you really want to know my phoibles) I'm not able to grow my own hair which makes a decent wig an essential.

I have a few knocking around that I've picked up from various online sites, cheap ones sold at BBB and one I bought from a friend. However I figured if I was serious about passing I would need to buy a good wig, and I would need to buy it in person.

On the Saturday after Lash I went into Manchester with my friend. I'd seen a couple of wig shops before and thought that that would be a good place to start. I wore my normal wig as we walked through Manchester, dressed in an androgynous way so as not to draw attention. No one battered an eyelash so at least on that basic level I was more or less passable. We found a shop just around the corner from the Arndale (and near to Affleck's) and, taking a deep breath, we went in.

I was a little worried at first but I figured it's probably a lot easier to buy a wig when they can see that your transgendered then if you just go in in boi mode. That probably looks a little bit suss, but when they can see that you dress and aren’t embarrassed by the fact other people aren’t either. The shop assistant was very kind and helpful and my friend six was there too to give me a second opinion.

The selection wasn't massive and unfortunately there wasn't really anything close to my own colour (which is an auburn) but I was still able to find a colour which worked well with my completion. The first wig that I tried on had a really nice fringe and I liked it a lot however the second had a lot of potential with different things that could be done to it.

I was initially leaning towards the first one as it was a pretty cool contemporary cut that seemed easy to manage and maintain. However there wasn't really much you could do with it other than wear it how it was. I was a bit unsure initially about the second one as it seemed to require higher maintenance but as six and the shop assistant pointed out, there was a lot more that could be done with it.

The assistant, who was really helpfully and friendly throughout, showed me a few different styles that could be done with it, showing me how it could be worn up, or how different slides and accessories could be used. By the end I was sold. True, it wasn't the kind of wig you could just put on and go, but the quality of with wig and the amount that could be done with it made it exactly what I was looking for.

No comments: